Friday, April 2, 2010

Shaving cream woes and first impressions

OMG, I just had like, 3 paragraph written up and then since I´m not used to this friggin keyboard I accidentely erased everything. So, here´s what I said -

So here I am in Brasil. I´ve been here about 3 dias now, and so much has happened that I´ll only be able to write a little bit of what I´ve done.

Oh, and BTW, if there´s alot of typos in my emails, forgive me. This keyboard is slightly different than the American one. The apostraphe is in a different place and the shift key is itty-bitty. I keep fat fingering everything and it´s drivin me nuts.

So, the flight/s were uneventful. I met 3 other Elders in Dallas, and one of them was in my branch at the MTC, even though now I cant remember his name. Sis Richardson, he was in your district. One of them, Elder Lee, was heading to my mission, so we became comps for the time-being. It was sooo nice because once we got to the São Paulo airport we got friggin lost and since we couldnt really understand people, we would get the directions wrong on where to go. It was all fun though, and we were merrily sweating all the way. Once we finally made it to our gate, a member comes up to us and introduces himself to us. Turns out it´s the Stake President of where we would eventually end up. So that was cool. We finally made it to Londrina, as did our luggage (thank goodness) and found the Mission President, Presidente Leal, and the executive secretary, Elder Miller, and the treasury Elder, Elder Cavalheiro. Presidente Leal had to take off, so me and the three other Elders jumped in a cab and took off to the apartment. That was an experience. If you´ve ever ridden in a cab in Mexico, or somewhere similar you know what I´m talking about. This dude is just flying through the streets, and we dont stop for anything. I feel like I´m in a convoy in Iraq. The little horn is blaring at the cyclic rate. Heaven forbid if you´re a small animal. So here we are, there´s not an inch of empty space in this cab, flying through the streets of Londrina at the speed of Peugot. We finally arrive at the apartment, offload our stuff, and then we´re off to teach some lessons. Me and Elder Miller, who is also from Texas, Beaumont to be exact, went one way, and Elders Lee and Cavalheiro went the other. We taught...well, Elder Miller taught the lesson, and I was able to understand just about everything. The people here talk soooo much slower than those from Rio or São Paulo, so I actually have a chance now. We get back the apt, eat some Brasilian hotdogs, and go to immediately to trading ties. Ties are a very personal thing, and everybody has their individual taste. I cant stand striped ties. Every missionary I´ve ever seen has a striped tie. Well, that´s all Elder Miller has, but he actually had at least one that I liked, with this old school poly paisley, so I snatched those up pretty quick. He wanted a couple of my favorites, so he offered me a mini portuguese preach my gospel to sweeten the deal. I accepted, and now we are both happy. It was time for bed, so we went to sleep, which wasnt hard. I had really slept in about 2 days. I firmly believe that like cars, they design airplanes to be as uncomfortable as possible when you try to sleep. We´ve got two fans blowing, with interlocking courses of fire, so we´re always in the breeze. For the record, Elder Lee snores so fast, it sounds like he´s running a marathon in his sleep. All of the windows are open, there´s bugs everywhere, and I couldnt be happier. I´m finally in Brasil, trying to speak portuguese, and having the time of my life. I am so grateful to be here. A mission is such an amazing experience, and it´s such a privilage to work side by side with the Lord in His work.

Day 2

Not a whole lot happened today, because we were in the office most of the day. We did go apartment hunting though, so we got to get out and walk the streets for a little bit. We ate at this Brasilian buffet for lunch, which was awesome. I love Brasilian food. Presidente Leal came in, and we had interviews. He took care and spoke slowly, which I was grateful for, and I was able to understand most everything he said. Just the few minutes I´ve been able to spend with him are a blessing. He is such an amazing man, and I´m glad he´ll be my mission president for at least a few months. Next to our office is a little corner drugstore walgreens type thing. I needed some shaving cream in the worst way, so we went over there on the way back from lunch. I walk in, go the shaving section, and about die. Holy Moses riding a rocket this stuff is expensive. It was like, $22 reais for a little can. Forget the oil industry, the friggin shaving cream tycoons should be on the news. $22 reais is more or less $11 dollars. And the thing that really ticks me off, is that I had just bought a $2 econo-size can of gilette back in GA, but forgot to bring it. So, if you´re going to send a package, please send single or twin blade razors, shaving cream, and foot powder. It will be much appreciated.

Day 3
We went out with Elder Trindade, an Elder who goes home next week, and did some work. It was Elders Miller and Cavalheiros P-day, and Pres didnt want me and lee (hey that rhymed) to do nothing all day. So we get back in the taxi from hell and scream across Londrina. We arrive, only by the Grace of God, and start planning. We have about 10 people we are going to see, and we map out our day. The first person isnt home, so we go the next one, she´s home, and we teach her about the restoration. I started out the lesson, and suprised myself at how well I spoke. I´ve never spoken portuguese that good, everything just flowed. Lesson ended, and we move onto the next. It was a bright sunny day, and we were already sweating pretty good. We taught more people, walked everywhere, contacted people on the street, and I was just beaming. I love missionary work. And it helps that we were in the Antares area, which is known throughout the mission for people just accepting you without a second thought. By the time the day was over, we had taught 8 lessons, and walked about 8 miles. The last lesson we taught was a family that was going to be baptized on saturday. They are so awesome, and the kids just cracked me up. There was this little boy, about 2 years old, who was so fat everything jiggled when he ran. I could not stop laughing. All he had on were these blue briefs, and it was one of the funnier things I´ve seen since I´ve been out here. I love Brasil, I love the people, I love everything about it. I´m sorry to those that have served in other missions, but Londrina is where it´s at. This is the best mission in the world.


Well, it´s getting to be lunch time, and I´m morrendo com fome, so I´m going to head out.

Eu amo ya´ll,
Elder Standard


BTW, my P-day is wednesday now, and if anyone has Jarons Email, or can give him mine, please do so. I want to see how he´s doing.



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments:

Post a Comment