Wednesday, April 28, 2010

I can feel it in my nuggets

Whaddup people! Sorry for not writing last week, I´m a slacker, I know. There´s been alot happened these past couple of weeks, everything from being chased by gay hookers to being crapped on. We´ve been real busy, and we´ve got a few families that are preparing to be baptized. It´s so cool to watch people change their lives and turn unto the Lord. That´s the cool thing about missionary work, all we need is 10 minutes, and if you´ve got an open mind and heart, this message will change your life. I know this is the true gospel of Jesus Christ, restored again on the earth. I´m so glad I get to share this message with everyone that I can. A mission is such a blessing and a privilage. Thanks to all of you that have helped me get here. So, in order to improve myself, I need your help. I need everyone to reply back with what you think my strengths are, and what my weaknesses are. I need you to be brutally honest. I will not hold this against you. If I get mad it´s because I´ve got pride. But, I promise I wont get mad, unless it´s some kinda bullcrap that isnt true ;) I need to be the best I can be for these people here in Brasil, so I need as much feedback on this as possible. You´ve got a week to think of something and report back.
 
So, this week has also been really hard for me, Elder Lima is getting kinda trunky and it´s making me homesick. Plus, I used to ALWAYS have music playing, where ever I was, whatever I was doing, or...whatever. And now, being here out on a mish, I hardly ever hear any kind of music, unless the neighbors are blaring their music, or we go to church and I hear hymns (yay..).
Which reminds me, weeee siiiiinnggg soooooo sllloooowwww in church. What the F people? Now, this gets kinda funny, because most times I just kinda zone out and since I´m used to a quicker pace I´m always off time. And, since I dont pronounce everything like a native, It´s really noticable when I do it. So yeah, I´m always off, on..everything. It´s great. S.O.P. now is when someone starts talking crap, usually some punk kid, I just switch to english. Then everyone else is the one with the dumb look, even my comp. Just yesterday we stopped at a members work to drop off some Book Of Mormons for him. Well there were some customers in there and when they realized who we were they started to bible bash. Now, I still cant really understand folks, so I´m just hanging out, watching the second hand tick on the clock. Then one of the dudes comes up to me because Elder Lima wont talk to him, and starts trying to do it to me. I told him a few times that I cant understand him, and one of the times he says - "it´s ok, the Holy Spirit will translate for us". And persists and talking to me. I still have no clue what he´s saying, and his friend is trying to pull him away and tell him that I cant understand. I start talking in english to him, to prove a point that I cant understand him, but he persists. Eventually they left, after the Member turned on the radio super loud and nobody could hear each other. So yeah, I cant understand other people that well, but I´m starting to be able to kinda barely almost understand Elder Lima (I said KINDA, Higgins).
 
The families that we have are awesome That same member that I talked about above gave us a referral to another family. Well, they turned out to be a dud, but their neighbors didnt, so we´ve been coming back and teaching them. It´s sooo cool because they honestly want to know the truth. They have a ton of questions, which I personally love. Because when people have questions, or doubts, it´s because they´re thinking. When people dont have anything, it´s because they´re not thinking. I´d rather someone drop a bomb of a question on us that stumps us than have someone just be spoonfed. It´s kinda dissapointing to me when I go in, teach someone, ask them if they have any questions, they say no, and then that´s it. Are you kidding me? We just told you something that is so completely different than anything you´ve ever heard, and you´re cool with that? You dont have a single question? I know with me, if someone told me something about firearms that is completely different than the current mantra at the time, I would listen, ask a ton of questions, try it if it made sense, and see if it works. Whatever, I guess.
That´s the bad thing about Brazilians, getting in their house isnt the problem, it´s getting them to commit to anything, because they want to. They dont want to make you mad, they want to be your friend, so they just say yes to everything, and never do it. So it´s rare when you actually have someone like the families that we have that actually think about what we´re saying. You cant be blunt with them, otherwise they get their feelings hurt, and if you´re too nice then they dont understand how important it is that they listen. That´s the hard part about missionary work, you´ve got to find the middle ground on everything. That´s why having the Spirit is so important. If it was left to Elder Mate P. Standard nothin would get done.
 
 Anyways folks, I´m outtie for this week. Please reply back with what you think my strengths and weaknesses are so I can work on them, kapeesh?
 
Forty Six and Two,
The Church is True,
Elder Standard
 
(Ha, pretty clever isnt it, it rhymes and everything)
 



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments:

Post a Comment